Psychological or emotional distress is often avoided as insignificant compared to physical injuries. Most people think that physical damages are the main thing in an accident and only healing is important. For instance, in a car accident, a person can have post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) for a long time and suffer from it even after their wounds are healed. You can sue your employer or any party in Canada for causing emotional distress. To know more, read this article thoroughly to see if you may need to hire a professional injury lawyer in Calgary to settle due causes of the emotional distress you have gone through.
Understanding a Calgary Injury Lawyer Helps Emotional Distress Cases
What is a Mental Distress Lawsuit?
Any injury lawyer in Calgary can tell you that mental distress lawsuits seek suffering and pain from another person’s intentional or negligent actions.
Psychological and emotional damages can offer compensation for:
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Phobias & fear of something (e.g. leaving the house or fear of dogs)
- Stress & Anxiety
The best way to prove the damage is to hire injury lawyers and allow them to prove your case. You will have to show proof of your mental state, and it’s possible showing the evaluation results from a psychologist, a psychiatrist, or any other healthcare professional. Your therapist has to testify in court.
Symptoms of Mental Distress
Although there is a better advancement in mental health education, sometimes the family of the victim and the person himself fail to recognize the psychological damages. To identify the issues, you can check the below symptoms.
- Sleep disorders & depression is a sign of mental distress
- The grief of a close person or if a person has lost their love for the negligence of someone.
- Unstable temper & mood swings can be a sign of psychological damage.
- Anxiety attacks triggered by different memories & incidents
- Feeling anxiety in different situations without facing the actual situation but just from the memories of the incident.
Process of Suing Someone for Emotional Distress in Canada
The perfect way to address this matter is through legal support. You may get a good solution if you contact an injury lawyer. Check out the things you can expect your lawyer to do.
1. Checking the situation– the lawyer will first assess everything regarding the accident, the place, your injuries, medical reports, the circumstances, and other things.
2. Consulting the professionals– after this step, the advocate will check your current health. The professional will talk to you about your mental situation, which may take more than one session. The expert will try to understand your trauma and the things you are going through at the moment, and then they will decide the time it will take for you to recover fully.
3. Creating the case– after the lawyer has all the information they need, they will start to create the case. They will gather the relevant people, family members, medical experts, and eyewitnesses. These people will give a better picture of the entire incident. They will logically explain the events, and focus on the psychological damages, so the court understands everything.
4. Proving the damages – is one of the hardest things to prove in court. The lawyer will gather medical reports and bring your doctors to testify.
Founded in 1992 Richard Edwards Injury Law has been working to help Calgarians successfully settle complex and serious personal injury claims and wrongful death cases. As a Calgary injury lawyer, Richard Edwards provides remarkable care and effort to each of his cases. Richard Edwards Injury Law will go above and beyond as your Calgary personal injury lawyer and will make sure you receive the settlement you deserve. If you or someone you love is in need of a Calgary personal injury lawyer, car accident lawyer, sports injury lawyer, slip and fall attorney, or brain and spinal cord injury lawyer, Richard Edwards Injury Law is the place to call. We can be counted to deliver results and give clients the expertise they need.